Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

What causes brain atrophy at age 58. The doctor said it was

Customer Question

What causes brain atrophy at age 58. The doctor said it was either some strokes or MS. I believe there are many other causes for it. Is there?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: He has me schedule Mon for spinal tap to rule out MS. No medications. So what other causes could result in this?
JA: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?
Customer: Could being on SSRIs, Psychotropics, Mood stabilizers, etc over 30 year period could have caused this
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He knows about the antidepressants and child trauma
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am board certified and I have 40 years of patient experience. I will be happy to help you today. I'm sorry to hear of your problem.

You haven't mentioned that you have been ill or have had any symptoms other than your history of depression. The medications you have been on will not have any indication for causing brain atrophy. There are certain diseases that can cause this, MS being one of them. Again you don't mention any symptoms that might make one think of Multiple Sclerosis as being the cause.

The list includes Dementia, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy, Type II Diabetes, Encephalitis (Infection with high fever) and Malnutrition.

Since you are in the evaluation stage by your doctor for a cause, you should also discuss these other medical problems which can cause atrophy to see if you have symptoms.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you