Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr Love I know we are not suppose to discuss this but I have

Customer Question

Dr Love
I know we are not suppose to discuss this but I have a quesions. The first signs of tingking in arm was April 24. The first signs of tingling in leg was May 10. The tingling in arm came back full force July 4. I had an emg on the upper exterimites on August 8. I had an emg on all extremities August 23. I also had emg on leg on June 20. All were normal. These were emgs/nvc.
How long should I wait before any further emgs be conducted. one year? Two years?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 7 months ago.

There is no set amount of time. It will depend upon how your symptoms improve or worsen over time and how your neurologic exam changes over time.

If you have a good response to physical therapy, then you may never need another EMG/NVC.

But it is clearly impossible to predict at this point in time whether and when it would be necessary to repeat an EMG/NVC.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The therapist said the test is whether the symptoms subside. She said the insurance will not pay for additinal emgs because if the syptoms improve there is no need to do so.

That is another way of saying what I just said - If you have a good response to physical therapy, then you may never need another EMG/NVC.