Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Have neuropathy for 15 years. Numb feet and ankles. Pain

Customer Question

Have neuropathy for 15 years. Numb feet and ankles. Pain (burning)
on top and at end of toes.. More sever when go to bed. Hard get to and stay asleep
Am a type 2 diabetic 20 years. Last alc 5.6. Take insulin 35 units/day plus Junivia & Metforman. Take Gabipenton daily. Have tried Antritriptoline but side effects to severe.
Have never seen a neurologist. Pain becoming severe.
Questions: are there any treatments, medicines, therapys that might help me. Would you recommend I see a Newhologest?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hello!

Yes >> see a neurologist.. that may be a helpful step for you!

It sounds that you have peripheral neuropathy related to your diabetes for 20 years ..

The Neurontin is a treatment for that.. the dose might be changed or Lyrica may be an option for you..

Also it may be worthwhile to look for other possible coinciding causes of the peripheral neuropathy such as thyroid or B12 deficiency ( common at your age) It would be ideal if a added cause might benefit fr4om a once a month B12 shot to help you feel better..

There are a number of possible causes of peripheral neuropathy.

You having diabetes is the most common but it is certainly possible that you could have more than one contributing facator here.

It is worthwhile to look but as you have the diabetes this may have been easily dismissed..

So YES I would recommend follow up with a neurologist and ask if PERHAPS other may be be contributing to the symptoms ( your diabetes seems to be in excellent control!) so that too makes me wonder if a second cause may be affecting you here.

I hope that this is helpful for you.

Let me know if you have further questions or concern.

I will be happy to get back with you!

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback.

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony bray MD