Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I am trying to define good sleep. Obviously we don't want to

Customer Question

I am trying to define good sleep. Obviously we don't want to be laying in bed and not asleep. So step 1 to good sleep is to actually be asleep when laying down and not be awake for any of the minutes you spend in bed. But what is ideal once we are sleeping? I know there are different stages of sleep, one of them being considered deep sleep. Is deep sleep is always better than light sleep. Is deep sleep more rejuvinating than light? Is a certain amount of light sleep important? If one spends more time in deep sleep, do they not need to sleep as long?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

Sleep is prompted by natural cycles of brain activity and consists of two basic states: REM sleep and non-REM sleep, which consists of stages 1 through 4. Each cycle lasts about 90 minutes. If you do that cycle several times night, you have a good sleep.