Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have a chronic problems with extreme weakness and fatigue.

Customer Question

i have a chronic problems with extreme weakness and fatigue. today is especially bad, i cannot stay on my feet for more than a minute. i first had these symptoms in 2009, they were terrible, but gradually improved over a couple of months. my current problem started in april, improved some, but is awful now. i feel like i will die because my body is so weak. i have been to the ER many times, but blood work and ekgs are ok. i have also seen all specialists - any ideas
JA: In general, how has your health been lately?
Customer: i am a diabetic, but my blood sugar is contolled and i take meds for high blood pressure. sometimes my bp spikes (200/120) when the weakness hits
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: it was suggested that i might have autonomic neuropathy, but it is hard tofind a dr who deal with it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

sorry you are having these episodes of weakness and spikes in your blood pressure.

you need to have your thyroid hormone levels checked.

you may have to travel to a large university medical center to see neurologist for more advanced testing.

you may need to have EEG and brain way testing to check for seizure activity which could be causing weakness and high blood pressure.

you may need EMG nerve conduction studies to check your nerve function

and brain and spine MRI scans

you may even need a spinal tap to check fluid around your spinal cord.

it doesn't sound like you have had these tests.