Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Dr. Love I have been prescribed 150 mg lithium. The side

Customer Question

Dr. Love
I have been prescribed 150 mg lithium. The side effects says tremore. Severe side effects include blind spot, vision loss, unsteady gait, severe tremor, slurred speech. Should I be concerned about these severe side effects. If a tremor occurs will it go away. Also I am concerned about vision loss. I just picked up medicine and read side effects
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

The tremor is a relatively common side effect to lithium, although it is usually mild. A severe tremor is possible, but much less likely. As your body gets used tot he medicine, the tremor will usually ease off. However, if it is more severe or persistent, the medicine can be stopped and the tremor will resolve.

The other side effects that you mention, such as the vision loss, are uncommon side effects, so are not a reason for concern.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have had some tremor as I mentioned to you before. That is why I am concerned. I dont want to add more problems to the mix. I am so depressed until I dont know what to believe at this point. I have a total lack of faith in the medical system after all these diagnosis. I feel like a guinea pig. I pray that the terapy will resolve the syptoms so I can get out of this tango with these neurologists. I am exhausted.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
oops therapy

If you do not want to take the medicine because of the possible side effect of tremor, then you would need to contact your doctor tomorrow to discuss an alternative medicine.