Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have burning pain in sciatic area of left buttock which

Customer Question

I have burning pain in sciatic area of left buttock which then runs through other part of left buttock and ends in upper part of left thigh. Am fused from L3-S1 and had last surgery 5/19/16 to remove scar tissue from metal at L4-5 level but this pain started before that surger.
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: About 10 months. I will add that sitting is more comfortable than standing or lying in bed.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had numerous steroidal injections ever since 2011.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 9 months ago.

Hi there. Your pain corresponds to the L2/3 region of the leg. This would be consistent with nerve injury or entrapment at the level just above your fusion (which often experiences increased movement after fusion). Have they tried injecting you at this level? Have you had a recent MRI to see if there have been any changes since the surgery?