Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I experience more of a dull ache, not a hard paid, which

Customer Question

I experience more of a dull ache, not a hard paid, which radiates from my left hip, down the outside of my thigh and calf. I have had chronic low blood pressure since my late teens and have struggled with aching in my calves most of my life...I am now 48. In the past the aching has been triggered mostly by fatigue, or if I have spent a lot of time on my feet. However, over the past 3 years or so it has gotten worse, and I am experiencing on a daily basis. I previously was able to address the issue and get relief with the use of compression sleeves used by runners, or using an ace wrap around my thigh to provide some compression, as well as the use of some heat therapy and stretching. Those treatments no longer work. My doctor previously diagnosed bursitis. But now that it radiates down my entire leg I am concerned it might be something more. It has gotten to the point that the aching keeps me awake at night, and I am constantly feeling like I have to move my legs from one position to another. There is a history of arthritis in my family, and phlebitis on my mother's side, but no other conditions or diseases.
JA: When was last time you had a check up? Have you been feeling dizzy or lightheaded?
Customer: My last checkup was July 21st of this year. No, not dizziness or lightheadedness.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: High blood pressure in both parents at older ages, but nothing else. No cancer, heart disease, nothing.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing there are a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of pain. The first one which comes to mind is that you could have meralgia parasthetica which is a condition in which the lateral femora; cutaneous nerve is trapped which can lead to pain of this sort in the left hip, thigh and upper part of the knee. This would be diagnosed on a simple nerve conduction study and also with a clinical examination. In most cases this can be treated with drugs liuke lyrica or neurontin alongwith TENS therapy and steroids but in some cases this would be treated with surgery.

Another cause of these symptoms could be compression of the nerves in the lower back which would lead to radiation of teh pain down into the lower leg. This can occur because of arthritis of teh back of even degenerative disc disease. These symptoms can occur even without the presence of back pain and would explain the persistent nature in your case. This would need a MRI of the back to be diagnosed alongwith a nerve conduction study. Once diagnosed the treatment can vary according to situation however in most cases physiotherapy, steroids, lyrica and neurontin control the symptoms effectively. Infact physiotherapy can decrease the need for other medication significantly. In a small number of cases surgery may be needed.

Now i would suggest that you have your doctor look into the above possibilities and you should get a MRI and a NCS done ASAP as hip bursitis usually doesnt cause radiation of pain into the lower leg

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fortunately, I do not have any back pain...none at all. Everything has been isolated to just the hip and down the leg. Would you still consider it to be a nerve issue?

Yes as i said in my previous answer, back pain is NOT necessary to indicate compression of the nerves. It is also possible that compression is occurring at the level of the hip joint or even in the buttocks, that is why i advised the Nerve conduction study in combination with teh MRI. These two tests would diagnose a nerve issue 99% of time if used together.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.