Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have a Angular fracture in 5th metatarsal broke

Customer Question

I have a Angular fracture in 5th metatarsal broke splint, what is the best next step as they were unable to set due to fracture type??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

When you say that they were unable to set it due to fracture type, are you referring to the care in the ER?

Or are you referring to an attempt by an Orthopedic Surgeon to reduce the fracture?

I had asked for some clarification of your situation and have not heard back.

When there is an angulated fracture of the fifth metatarsal, the fracture angle must be corrected to the natural position of the bone fragments, which is referred to as reduction. If you have only been seen in an ER and they were unable to reduce the fracture, then the next step would be a visit to an Orthopedic Surgeon. If the Orthopedic Surgeon is apply to reduce the fracture by external pressure and the bone fragments are properly aligned, then a cast will be applied. However, if there has already been an attempt to reduce the fracture by external pressure and the angulation cannot be corrected, then the usual next step would involve surgery, in which the bones can be better aligned, and the alignment can be maintained by pins or plates.

Even after the bones are aligned, certain fractures of the fifth metatarsal can be difficult to treat. There is an important muscle that inserts into a specific site on the fifth metatarsal, and if there is a fracture that is close to this location, the muscle pulling on this location can keep the fracture from healing. So, fractures involving this part of the fifth metatarsal need to be treated more carefully to allow it to heal. The Orthopedic Surgeon will be able to tell you of any limitations that are necessary for the fracture to heal.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.