Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have pain where my foot meets my ankle. Off and on for 6

Customer Question

I have pain where my foot meets my ankle.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: Off and on for 6 years but lately it has been intense
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: It started from a fall I had where I thought I was off the ladder and wasnt. Landed on my big toe pointing down. Apparently I broke my toe in the middle of my foot and didnt know and it healed funny. The doc took some fragments out and that was it. I told him about the pain in the spot that I am questioning and they took xrays and found nothing. So why am I hurting still then?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

When you say where the foot meets the ankle, is this on the top, bottom or either side of the area where the foot meets the ankle?

Is it tender when you press on the area?

What has been tried to try to ease the pain?

I had asked for some additional information and have not heard back.

The underlying problem and possible home interventions would vary according to whether the pain in on the top, bottom, or either side of the area whee the foot meets the ankle.

As an example, the most common place for pain where the foot meets the ankle is on the bottom. There is a fibrous layer that passes from the bone below the ankle into the foot, called the plantar fascia. Ther can be inflammation of this tissue, called plantar fasciitis. There are several home interventions that can be done for management of this. The usual first step would be the use of anti-inflammatory medicines, such as ibuprofen or naproxen. If this is not sufficient, then orthotics in your shoes may help, and particularly heel cups that can be placed in whatever shoes you are wearing.

If the pain is in another location, please let me know and I can comment further.