Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Dr Love Could other conditions cause waking up with numb

Customer Question

Dr Love
Could other conditions cause waking up with numb fingers and toes. What about diabetes. I was pre diabetic in May (5.9). If this is pn how fast does it progress. This seems very fast since it started in May. If the biopsy is normal, and the symptoms persist could this truly be anxiety. Cant anxiety cause these type symptoms? If so, I will really have to try and work through anxiety.
I am concerned that at this rate how long will 600mg work. Do you think exercise could help keep this at bay.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 month ago.

There is a long list of conditions that can cause numbness, but the doctor at the Cleveland Clinic would have considered those possibilities.

If the biopsy is normal, then that would be consistent with the assessment of the doctor at Cleveland Clinic. However, that assessment did include a conclusion that the anxiety was magnifying your symptoms, so there is a component of anxiety present.

That is why I have told you several times that you need to also treat the anxiety and depression in addition to the treatment for the spine.

It may take several weeks with progressive adjustment of the gabapentin dose to adequately ease symptoms.

Exercise is an important component of management of spine problems, and once you are in Physical Therapy, they will discuss exercises that you should be doing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you saying the body has to acclimate to thr 600 mg? My concern is that if the dose continues to increase does that mean the symptoms are getting worse.
Today it rained. Maybe thats why finger was numb. I am sensitive to everything at this point.
I will try and take one day at a time.

All medicines that are taken chronically take a while to achieve the full effect. If the full effect occurs with a single dose of a drug, then we can prescribe it to be taken as needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just met with the neurologist. Before, I could say anything she stated that I had visited with numerous neuologists and at some point I am going to have to believe someone. She stated she is 99% certain that I do not have sfn or any other kind of neuropathy. She said if I am willing to do the biopsy and if it will put the neuropathy issue to rest so I can go on with therapy, then I should do so. She stated that the psychologist works very closely with the head of the neurology department and he has agreed to take my case. She stated this is stress and until I deal with the underlying issues the tingling will not go away. She stated the new neuro will write the anti depressant prescription.
She gave me a prescription for therapy for my neck and leg to be used at any facility.
She stated that I should stay off the internet because it was creating a lot of the problem with me believing I have neuropathy and other ilnesses.
She wished me the best.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
HiJustd checking in. I have two more weeks before the test. I pray that it is normal. I tried to move it to Sept 19 or 26 but they are booked. I was told to call this Sunday because most cancellations are made on Sunday. If I get in this Monday, I could get results by Oct 3.

Hopefully it can be scheduled sooner.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It would be nice, but it is doubtful. I am on wait list and ready to drive over Monday if necessary. But in the past two weeks no one has canceled. While on one hand I would like to know, Iam afraid. But I am hopeful that this is not sfn. I refuse to claim this.
I am drafting an arbitration award for an employment law arbitrator who is inundated with work. This has kept me busy and my mind off of my medical issues.