Dr. SH
Dr. SH, Physician
Experience:  Doctor of Medicine
28323552

My mother, 83yrs old, suffered a mild hemorrhagic

Customer Question

My mother, 83yrs old, suffered a mild hemorrhagic (thalamic)hypertensive stroke 10 months ago; left brain affecting right side. She is now taking one medication for blood pressure, telmisartan (micardis) 40mg which is working well. Non-smoker, no alcoholic drinks and healthy diet--as prior to stroke, except for the episodic high pressure that caused bleeding in basal ganglia area.
Questions:
1.Still in outpatient physical therapy 10 months later, what is the normal expectation of improvement in walking? She walks with a cane, but slowly, with sporadic limp. Yet, she can do treadmill very well for half hour at 2.3-2.5 speed.
2. Is there any information on stages of improvement to be expected(6months, 1 yr, etc.)? I know it is an individual matter, but it would help to have a general sense of what is possible at different stages.
3. Is physical therapy essential to continue even after a year?
4. Balance issues: Her main concern is confidence in her balance. She enjoyed walking prior to the CVA, but has stopped activities because she does not feel confident yet in her balance. She can walk around her apt without a cane, but she is very cautious.
What can improve the balance to restore confidence?
Thank you for your service.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

Hi there.
Thank you for your question.
I will be helping you out with your concerns today.
I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Expert:  Dr. SH replied 4 months ago.

I understand that it can be very tough at her age after having a stroke to walk around with confidence.

She is doing all the right things in that she is walking around as much as possible.

I think that the only thing that will tell us whether there is going to be some recovery is time.

It cake take another six to twelve months for us to know how much more she can recover.

At the moment I would just continue what you are doing and stay determined and be persistent.

Let me know if you have more questions.
It is only when you rate me, is when I am credited for helping you out.
Please do rate me, if possible.
Kindest regards