Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

What treatments for nerve pain can you suggest other than

Customer Question

What treatments for nerve pain can you suggest other than painkillers?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with a response ASAP!!!

Well nerve pain can be managed on the basis of where it is actually located, in your case it is in the back, which is what i surmise from your previous question. This would cause pain which radiates into the legs as well as tingling and burning in the legs. In this sort of pain TENS can be effective which is an abbreviation for transcutaneous nerve stimulation. this involves stimulating the nerves with electrical discharges in order to control the pain. Another method which does not involve painkillers is physiotherapy, assuming there is compression of the nerves in the back. if this is the case then physiotherapy would be a good therapeutic option to control the pain. Lastly, if all else fails then you can undergo radiofrequency nerve ablation which results in teh nerve being burned out so that pain cannot be felt in that particular location.

Alternative treatments which may or may not be of benefit include acupuncture which has anecdotal evidence at best. Alpha lipoic acid has been found to be useful in controlling nerve pain in some instances which can be tried. However i would suggest the TENS first as that has the most evidence backing its use.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/