dansheibley
dansheibley, Doctor
Experience:  By my radiology training I'm qualified to interpret CT & MRI of Brain & Spine used in planning of neurologic/surgical care.
62460980

I am experiencing pain in my right side f groin, leg and

Customer Question

Hello, I am experiencing pain in my right side f groin, leg and foot. It started yesterday afternoon, this morning I can barely walk. I had back pain for a month or so which somewhat had improved.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  dansheibley replied 5 months ago.

Hello. Does this extend along the side of the leg from the buttock at all? Otherwise is there redness and swelling of this leg? Is it tender to touch at all?

If there is redness and swelling and pain (or any combination of these) you need to be seen for an ultrasound, either today scheduled as an outpatient or if not possible as an outpatient today (scheduled by your primary care physician) then to be seen through the emergency department to determine if you have a deep venous thrombus. That is my primary concern.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is no swelling or pain to the touch. It feel as as though the pain is down the back of my leg

Those symptoms would most stereotypically point to sciatic nerve pain radiating from the back. However deep venous thrombosis is also on the list of possibilities. You should see your primary care physician for a prescription for an x ray of the lumbar spine and then MRI of the lumbar spine to see if there is any disc or bony abnormality that is pressing on a nerve to cause your symptoms. They can also evaluate you for the far less likely possibility of DVT which is a medical emergency.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have insurance. Is there something that I can do to eliviate the pain?

Alleve may help relieve your pain. Also wearing a back brace and maintaining good posture can help. Avoid lifting anything heavy until you can be evaluated.

Did I answer your question to satisfaction?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have had sciatic nerve problems before.
Waist is DVT?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dang auto correct! Should be what is DVT?

Deep venous thrombus - clot in the deep veins of the legs. Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

Clot can break free and go through the heart and to the lungs. The pain you're describing is most typical of sciatic nerve pain. I mention DVT only because it can cause pain in the legs as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The leg & foot pain in most intense when put pressure on my heel.

I'd recommend seeing your primary care physician then just to see if they by physical exam want you to get an ultrasound. Though I do feel this is most likely sciatic nerve pain.

A positive rating is the only way I am credited for my expertise. Please don't rate bad or poor service. If your aren't 100% satisfied, click reply instead. :)