Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience
61817858

I have been feeling disconnected for about two years - I

Customer Question

Hi- I have been feeling disconnected for about two years - I currently feel apathetic but not really depressed- I have always had trouble with names and finding words- those two situations have been present for over ten years - I have taken a battery of dementia tests self administered and mostly I am in the expected average rating for my age-54 I am concerned that these feelings along with my lack of interest behavior change is s sign of ftd- my mind currently feels fuzzy and things are not in focus but my eyesight was recently checked?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I am on Crestor and toprol
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have cardiomyaparhy
Category: Neurology
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just a add on - my memory is fuzzy- meaning - even yesterday's events although remembered feel far away - my focus and concentration are poor
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. This is a fairly common constellation of symptoms in one's 50s or 60s. It is not necessarily dementia, and your self administered tests would support this. I would suggest you see your GP for a complete physical exam and standard blood tests. When working up such symptoms, we always want to rule out an organic cause or exacerbating factors. For instance, anemia or a low thyroid can result in such symptoms...similarly a B12 deficiency or low testosterone levels. These are easy to test and usually easy to treat. In additon, if needed you can get a brain MRI to rule out microvascular disease or an undiagnosed stroke. Finally, seeing a neurologist and having formal neuropsychiatric testing might help to pin down the diagnosis in the absence of an identifiable cause.