Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

I have suffered from Major Depressive Disorder since I was

Customer Question

I have suffered from Major Depressive Disorder since I was in my teens, however, I was still able to go to college & earn my Bachelors Degree - and then to successfully hold down a full time job for about 25 years. Then, I had a series of very unhappy "events" happen to me and my depression got so bad that I tried to commit suicide (1 time only). I was having more problems handling my depression & I would fall asleep at work, sometimes while I was driving (I fortunately did not hurt anyone but myself). It got to where I had to resign from my job because I could no longer cope. It seemed that I wanted to sleep all of the time - even after a 12 hour night of sleep. I'd wake up, eat breakfast and fall asleep again. I became terrified at what was happening to me. My psychiatrist has got me on 70mg of Vyvanse & 60mg. of Adderral daily. This dosage allows me to live a somewhat normal life; but not on an everyday basis. I am trying to get Disability because I know that I cannot be a good employee anymore, which saddens me to no end. I was rejected for Disability, however, it was my first try. How do I explain to the Disability "Judges" that I cannot work full-time any longer. I am 58 years old and I cry all the time because I have no money. I'm terrified. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

it is not up to you to explain to the judge

you can give your disability paperwork to your doctor or psychiatrist to fill out saying you can't work because of your severe depression which is not under control at this point.