Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

First my right ankle swelled up and then a couple days later

Customer Question

First my right ankle swelled up and then a couple days later the left ankle swelled (not as much).Key thing is that when I get up from sitting for a relatively short time (10 min (?) my ankle is very stiff and painful. It relieves after only five, maybe 10 steps.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help you today. You are describing osteoarthritis or degenerative joint disease (DJD). Another possible cause is Gout, which is caused by excess uric acid in your system. The swelling is part of the disease. You should see your PCP or Internist who will do blood tests, physical examination and possibly x-rays to determine joint erosion. If you can, start taking an over the counter NSAID such as Advil or Aleve to help reduce the inflammation until you see your doctor. Do you take any prescribed medication or are you being treated for any medical conditions?

I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance. I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. We are credited only after you give a positive rating of 3-5 stars for the information I provided. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

Do you require any additional information regarding your ankle swelling and pain?