Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

I was reading about someone that fell on their sciatic. I

Customer Question

I was reading about someone that fell on their sciatic. I fell out of a hammock today and think I landed on sciatic. My right leg has a shooting pain.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: None
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: None. Just took a bad fall, landed on my rear and not can't walk.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. My name is***** and i am reviewing your question and will get back to you with an answer ASAP!!!

Well from what you are describing it certainly sounds like that you may have compressed or damaged the nerve, but it is more likely that you may have damaged or caused compression of the vertebral bodies which would have led to compression of the nerve roots which form teh sciatic nerve which would lead to shooting sharp pains in the legs along with other symptoms like numbness, tingling , burning etc. In severe cases, you may develop weakness in the affected leg or even urinary issues such as incontinence etc. if that happens then that is an indication for immediate surgery to correct the problem. But considering that you have severe shooting pain in the leg, it is necessary that this be evaluated with the help of a xray of the spine as well as a mRI of the spine if necessary. Secondly this would need a complete clinical examination as well. In the meantime you can use OTc motrin and aleve for controlling the pain but this needs to be evaluated ASAP to rule out spinal issues.

I would STRONGLY suggest that you have this evaluated by visiting urgent care or even the ER if you are unable to move the leg without experiencing severe pain.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you like to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.