Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician
Experience:  MBBS DNB
25843817

I have been having an issue with my two feet and my two

Customer Question

I have been having an issue with my two feet and my two hands being numb all the time. I have been to the doctor and have had all of the tests to rule out diabetes and other medical conditions that can be detected by blood test. I have also seen a neurologist and have had electric shock testing that has tested the nerves to see if they are working properly. All of these tests have come out to be normal. The condition seems to only be worsening. I really want answers quick!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 6 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Have they done an MRI of the back spine area to check for nerve compression or spinal growths ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No MRI has been done. When I went in to see the neurologist, she did a series of tests asking me to push away or towards her with my hands/ legs. She then gave me some words that I had to remember and tell her at the end. She said I passed all of her initial test with no issues. We then did the test where they put electrical pulses on your skin to determine if the nerves are responding properly. All of that came out good as well.

Yes , all those tests will not be able to detect local issues on the spine causing nerve compression and hence resulting in the numb hands and feet.

I would suggest you to get Vitamin B 12 level blood check done and MRI.

If there is a numbness in the hands and feet it can be due to the following:

Vitamin B 12 severe deficiency

Motor and Sensory Neuron disease

Local spinal tumour or growth causing compression of the nerve fibres.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. B12 was checked and is fine. So do I go back to the neurologist and request an MRI? Why would they not do one or order one right away after not finding the problem?

I would not be able to tell as to why they did not get the MRI done with the symptoms you complaining about.

They may have thought of it as a last resort investigation

Regards

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ty
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do I have to go back to neurologist or primary care to request MRI?

You can go to your primary care and also ask for MRI spine area.

If you Agree with what I have mentioned, would you like me to release the rating service application on your page so you can leave me a feedback for my opinion provided

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ty. I was not aware that the tests that were done would not rule that out. I thought that was why they did that shock testing. I trusted that if the doctor thought there could be a further issue, they would have ordered one. I will now go and request one. Thank you you very much for your help

I have released the rating service application on your page.

Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Regards

Dr Pravin

Hello

I am awaiting a reply from your end.

Hello

I am awaiting a reply from your end.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I spoke to my doctor to request an MRI, and this is what she said: "I understand your frustration, but sometimes it takes a while for symptoms to declare themselves and sometimes we do not find specific answers, we can only rule out possibilities. A MRI would not be helpful as your symptoms do not fit into any specific central neurogenic pattern, so MRIs of the head or spine will not show us anything. I checked with Dr Lake and she would like to see you in follow up in November to see if your physical exam has changed."

But , if your symptoms are increasing , then why should there be a delay in investigations required is my query to this.

Hello

I am awaiting a reply from your end.

Please do let me know if you have any further queries.
Regards

Dr Pravin

Hello

I am awaiting a reply from your end.

Regards

Dr Pravin