khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

My dad is 70 yrs old and we have suspected for a time he has

Customer Question

Hi, so my dad is 70 yrs old and we have suspected for a long time he has early alzheimers. My mom took him to our regular doctor a few years ago and he gave him some memory medication (not sure of the name) but he was also prescribed prozac another time. Recently my dads health has taken a turn for the worst. Not only is his memory getting worse but he is showing a lot of disturbing signs of possibly a mental illness or dementia. Im not certain but im very concerned. My dad hasnt worked for 10 years. My mom works and they live alone together. Lately my dad has had episodes where he becomes obsessive over my mom. He accuses her of cheating. He makes up scenarios. He has outbursts where he yells at my mother and calls her names. He begs to sit right next to her at all times. A few weeks ago, he thought people were in the house that werent there and then went to sit nexgt to my mom and didnt recognize her. It took him 20 minutes to understand. The odd thing is he remembers details of others thing, sometimes conveniently so to the point we are all wondering if he is faking it, does remember he just wants my moms attention. He has become extremely possessive. In the last week my mom has called my brother in the middle of the night because my father has locked her into a room. My brother has had to come get her at 2am and take her to hotels at different times. Apparently other times when my mom has tried to call for help my dad takes away the phone from her and says youre not getting out over my dead body. My brother has tried very hard to talk to my dad with my mom there (i unfortunately I am in another state) in an intervention like way but my father literally sits there ignores my brother and yells at my mom obscene things. The worst part is, he refuses to take medication. He will not absolutely will not cooperate. My mom has made an appointment with a neurologist regarding the issue but she has an hmo and the appointment is taking forever. Its to the point we are all not just worried about my dad but now my mother. And we are considering putting him in a home. I just dont know what to do. No one in the family knows but us. Could this really be alzheimers etc or are we dealing with schizophrenia? It just seems like its getting worse and rapidly. I dont see this going anywhere good.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

It sometimes happens with dementia people. He should take Rivastigmine patch and dextromethorphan & quinidine (Nuedexta) if possible. If dextromethorphan & quinidine (Nuedexta) doesn't work, he should take low doses of olanzapine or risperidone. But they have limited efficacy and are associated with increased mortality in patients with dementia. If he can't see a neurologist soon, you should take him to a psychiatrist.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he refuses to take medication. Is this common?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

Yes, it is common. There are shots for the medications. But it could make his life shorter.