Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery

Recently (about 6 weeks ago) my husband and I were laughing

Customer Question

Recently (about 6 weeks ago) my husband and I were laughing uncontrollably - the type of laughter where you cant breath and your muscles in your chest and stomach hurt afterward (it was a great laugh!). However, for the first time, my head felt like it was going to explode. It was very strange and scared me very much. My throat, neck, shoulders were tight and painful and the base of my skull on both sides felt very tight and a little painful as well. After I caught my breath, my muscles relaxed and the pain was relieved.
This hasn't happened since (I don't normally laugh that hard!) But I do notice that when I'm singing in church, my throat muscles get very tight, painful, as well as my neck, shoulders, and the base of my skull gets tight.
I'm worried this is an exertion headache caused by a brain tumor. I had a clear MRI with and without contrast a little over two years ago and was diagnosed with migraines. I want to add that this NEVER happens when I sneeze, cough, run/jog or strain for a bowel movement. Only when I laugh uncontrollably or sing. I do clench my teeth constantly, so I'm hoping it's just tmj/bruxism related, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super worried. I am very much so :(
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 month ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor

these symptoms you are having are not from a brain tumor.

brain tumors don't cause these type of symptoms.

do you have bad anxiety symptoms?

anxiety can cause you to clench your teeth constantly and can cause tightness of your throat and neck and shoulders.

I am not worried about you having a brain tumor

let me know if you have questions.