Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I seem to have an exceptional memory that grows more intense

Customer Question

I seem to have an exceptional memory that grows more intense as I age I am currently 62. It's not so ro noun de in all area. If I'm told something (especially dates) by eve a total stranger I never forget. If I read something it's pretty much emblazoned in my memory. What part of the brain causes this and why isn't my visual memory as acute?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 6 months ago.

This is Dr. David

that is very good you have a very good memory which grows more intense as you age.

this is rare and unusual

most people get worse memory as they get older

you should see a neurologist at a large academic medical center and get some special testing of your brain to find out why this may be the case.

they may want to do special brain MRI scans, MRI SPECT scans, functional MRI scans, CNS PET scans of your brain to see why your visual memory is getting better as you get older while most other people's memory is getting worse.

do you have an academic or university medical center close to you where you can see a neurologist and get more testing to help answer this question?