Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

I have been going to a neurologist and she says that I have

Customer Question

I have been going to a neurologist and she says that I have trigeminal neuralgia. I t seemed to come on after some oral surgery. I then was diagnosed with cancer a fewI am also a cancer patient who has been treated with chem for over a year. The symptoms are getting worse and i would like another opinion.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: yes I have seen a neurologist for the past 2 years and take lyrica for the pain
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: the pain started 2 years ago and has gotten worse since then. At first the lyrica dulled the pain but now it seems to do very little
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no, not really anything remarkable
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I am a cancer doctor.

what type of cancer were you diagnosed with?

trigeminal neuralgia is diagnosed by a thin slice MRI scan of the brain looking at the trigeminal nerve at the skull base.

closed MRI scanners have much better image resolution than open MRI scanners.

tegretol or carbamazapine is a much better treatment option than lyrica for trigeminal neuraliga. have you tried it?

have you had a brain MRI scan? do you have your brain MRI scan report? this would help tell you if you have trigeminal neuralgia.