khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

I have been falling for the last two months. it's as if my

Customer Question

I have been falling for the last two months. it's as if my feet aren't working. I've sprained both shoulders, my right knee, right hip and right shoulder in separate falls. My treating physician asked me to give up the cane I'm using and switch to a walker which I have done. I've seen a neurologist who did an exam and said "you don't have parkinson's, let's get an EEG and then see me in six months". I feel I should get a second opinion with a movement disorders specialist. Your thoughts on possible diagnoses?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

How old are you? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Can you tell me more about your problem? Do you have any symptoms such as numbness, weakness, tingling sensation in your legs? Does anything make it better or worse? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? What is the rrason you were using a cane? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am 56 years old, and 6'2" tall. I weight 220 lbs. No weight change though I'm trying to lose weight. No numbness, weakness or tingling in legs. Nothing seems to affect the problem. it is getting worse. I was using a cane to steady myself to no avail. I kept falling even with the cane as I seemed to trip over my own feet. I have chronic hypoxemic respiratory failure. I also on occasion have double vision but resting my eyes takes care of that. It is binocular. Surgery three years ago, wedge biopsy of my right lung. Medications have been ruled out as part of the problem. No family history of this. Over the counter I take calcium citrate.I have weakness in my arms and chest, constant fatigue, a benign essential tremor in my right hand controlled by primidone. I don't feel any dizziness when I fall, just seem to trip over my own feet. The only thing that has been ruled out is Parkinson's.I'm on oxygen 24/7 but the liter flow is adequate for my needs. I'm not experiencing dizziness.I'll simply be walking and then down I go as if my feet gave up.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, my right foot the toes clench on occasion by themselves and I also have foot cramps.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've been tested for Myasthenia Gravis and it was negative
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

Can you tell me more about the situation when you had falls?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The first time realized I was falling more often I was stepping out of a pew at church, I crossed over with my left leg and my right leg refused to pivot. I fell to the ground.I also tend to fall backward on occasion when getting out of bed or getting up from a chair.By far the most common falls are when I am walking. In the past I walked without a cane and my feet would 'give out' and I would fall forward and catch myself on my hands and knees.When walking with a cane the same thing happened. It felt as though I was tripping over something invisible and I would go down to the left or to the right and injure various body parts.With the walker I've had better results but still fall. I will walk along and again, feel like I'm tripping over something invisible and will go down to the floor though the walker gives me a little more stability for when I am fallingI injured my knee by dropping to one knee when I was falling and impacting the floor.My hip, I fell and tried to catch myself on a counter and continued to fall with my leg bent underneath me. xrays proved it wasn't broken but it's definitely sprained.
My shoulders is usually do to impact of my hands on the floor and jamming of my shoulders.Again, I don't feel my feet hit anything but it's as if something invisible has been placed in my way and I have tripped over it.Keith
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

After you started to take primidone, did the double vision, weakness in your arms & chest, fatigue start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The double vision, weakness and fatigue all started prior to my taking primidone. That said, when I started falling, after consulting my neurologist, I tapered the primidone to see if that was causing my problems. He did say that my symptoms are not the normal way that loss of balance exhibits in a primidone reaction, rather that that kind of reaction mimics being drunk rather than just falling. He then said that everyone is different so we tried reducing the primidone. I'm on 25 mg this week and will be on none next week but the falling has been getting worse not better. So I don't think the primidone is related to the falling although I'm open to suggestions.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

Did you have MRI of the brain? Are you a male or a female? Do you have weakness, numbness, pain in the feet? Did you have your eyes checked by an eye doctor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not had a recent MRI of the brain. I am Male. There is no weakness, numbness or pain in my feet except when they cramp.My eyes were checked by an optometrist who diagnosed a weakening of the lower eye muscle on the left and an upper eye muscle on the right which is what is causing my binocular double vision. He said most likely the cranial nerves are involved. He told me to go back to my neurologist and let him know and my neurologist said not to worry about it.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 month ago.

That means your feet don't seem to be good to coordinate to walk because you don't have weakness, numbness, pain, or tingling sensation and don't have eye problem. You could have problem in the part of the brain to coordinate the movement of the feet. You should have MRI to detect the cause.