Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My 17-yr-old daughter is suffering from a severe,

Customer Question

My 17-yr-old daughter is suffering from a severe, unrelenting headache. (Over a month now without a pain-free day). Tramadol, acetaminophen & ibuprofen do not alleviate. Usually in temples, sometimes, when really bad, in base of skull and down neck. Today, says her right arm hurts. She passed out twice, within minutes of each other, two weeks ago. CT scan, EKG(?) and bloodwork all came back normal. Pain was so bad last weekend that I took her to the emergency room again - no diagnosis, doctor said it was in her head, and no relief. She has become extremely scatter-brained and forgetful - even things that are important to her. Says she is uncoordinated. Cranky and now depressed. Nauseous, and riding in the bumpy school bus in the morning increases nausea to the point she has vomited. Has no appetite, and gets more nauseous immediately after eating, yet, now not only doesn't lose weight (which you would expect), she almost seems to slowly, slightly gain.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David

I agree with trying to get her to see a neurologist

she could have a food allergy which could be causing these headaches and nausea symptoms

she could be allergic to gluten or milk lactose or some other foods or oils or preservatives in her food.

you may need to keep a food diary of what she eats and see which food worsen her symptoms.

she needs a full neurological workup, MRI scan of the brain is better than a CT scan of the brain.

she could be having migraine headaches and may need migraine headache medications.

let me know if you have questions.