Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans
22950887

I am a 31 year old male, i was a heavy drinker for about ten

Customer Question

Hi , I am a 31 year old male, i was a heavy drinker for about ten years. I quit completely over a year ago. About 2 years ago I began having neurological symptoms. It started in my lower legs as a heaviness. That has been there for a few years, then about six months ago the heaviness went pretty much all the way up my legs, now its in my arms as well. My mental status has changed, my thinking has slowed greatly , i feel like my mind is in slow motion. My vision has changed, i am having muscle cramps and spasms all over my body and now i am constantly fatigued. The fatigue gets so bad i can't keep myself up, I also had an extremely stiff neck. Sometimes I wake up and I feel great then it all hits me instantly, I have been to the hospital and the doctor so many times they keep telling me well everything looks ok just exercise. Well like I keep telling them a year ago I was running a mile a day , now i can't walk for more than 5 min so how am i supposed to exercise. I have also been short of breathe a lot , but have had my heart checked. I have been taking blood pressure medicine, pantoprazole for a few years, and lorazepam to try to help with all the anxiety from these unknown symptoms. I feel like I'm going to die any second. I have no known major health problems , something is happening to me and fast.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask have any tests been done? Do you have the results? Has an NCS been done on your legs?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later.

Well there are few things which can be considered in light of your symptoms. Now the first thing i would consider is that you could have vitamin B12 deficiency which can lead to this problem. This can cause the muscle cramps, heaviness in the legs as well s the fatigue along with a decreased amount of blood in the body. This can be checked by getting a simple CBC and a vitamin B12 level. Now this can be treated with prescription strength vitamin supplements.

Another cause which can be considered here is that you could have an autoimmune disease which is usually difficult to diagnose it can affect multiple systems of the body and cause all of your symptoms. This would need initial workup with tests like ESR and ANA which can be followed by a complete ENA profile. This can also be followed by more specific tests. Another condition which can be considered is thatof vasculitis which can affect multiple systems of the body or rather multiple blood vessels in the body. this again would need several tests which can include p-ANCA or c-ANCA among more specific tests.

If these conditions have been looked into then endocrine issues can be considered as well. These could include problems with your thyroid gland which can be checked with the help of a simple thyroid function test. In addition problems with the other glands should also be considered as well, which would include the adrenal gland. This would also cause the problems which you are currently experiencing. infact adrenal insufficiency as well as cushing syndrome both can exlain all of these symptoms.

Now if all of these are excluded then conditions like fibromyalgia can be considered as well which can explain these problems. ANother cause of these symptoms can be chronic fatigue syndrome which is a diagnosis of exclusion in which once all of the above are excluded then this would be diagnosed. It is a chronic disorder which would cause severe fatigue, slow functioning as well as muscle spasms. The treatment is with drugs like SSRIs. I would also recommend that you do get a NCS done of the legs and the arms as well. This would exclude a problem with the nerves as well.

Now i would recommend that you contact your doctor and have him run the above tests and determine if you have any of these problems. This discussion is open if you have any additional information or queries for me.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.