Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

I am a 27 year old male who is suffering from pain in my mid

Customer Question

I am a 27 year old male who is suffering from pain in my mid back on the left hand side and occasionally makes its way to the front of my abdomen. I am very concerned and have high anxiety, it feels like a pulled muscle but how do I know that it's not an organ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 1 month ago.

Hi there

Have you seen a doctor for this? Andy tests?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have seen the doctor I showed her the exact location of where the pain comes from and she did not run any tests
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have bad anxiety and this is driving me nuts! It's not consistent pain
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't even know how to explain the feeling
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's at the last rib cage on the left hand side
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can pin point the exact location of it, I don't know maybe a muscle but can that radiate occasionally the abdomen? Kidney related? I don't know? I hate feeling this way.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there?

My apology. I just got your response in the email, it did come through on time

• There are a number of possibilities. Based on your description, the top of the list is muscle spasm which can improve with the proper posture, exercise, muscle relaxant and massage.
  • It can also be disk disease which would require Xray, possibly MRI to further define it
  • Could be an abdominal organ? Yes, is it feasible to involve pancreas, liver stomach, but in the absence of other symptoms and the very localized nature of this pain, that possibility is less likely
  • I would advise you to get Re-evaluated by the same or another physician and express your concerns so that this would be taken more seriously

If this asnwers your question, please complete the rating above. It's how we get credit for the service.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am concerned about those things at my age do I have to worry of it being something serious? I mean before all this started prior to this I would have minor digestive issues where I would receive rumbling on my rib cage and gas and nausea when I was under a great deal of stress but I don't have really any of those symptoms currently? I am super scared about this and i mean I went to the doctor already but I'm just suffer from high anxiety so I don't know what to do please help me
  • At your age and based on what you told me, I do not see any indication of a serious health issue. These symptoms are most likely spasm which are NOT a serious issue. The other are mostly remote possibilities to be considered if your symptoms do not resolve with the treatment or if they get worse. Yours seem to be improving or stable.
  • No, you do not have to worry about an underlaying serious issue, but if symptoms persist or worsens, then you should be re-evaluated by your doctor and you can express your concerns so she can address them based on her evaluation
  • Anxiety is certainly very powerful and can magnify the magnitude of a simple medical condition. Your anxiety is very notable

Best wishes

And, I am sorry for the delay, I do not seem to have your responses emailed to me, not sure why