Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic

5 years ago the ligaments in my ankle were torn completely

Customer Question

5 years ago the ligaments in my ankle were torn completely apart and I had to have surgery. there is 4 screws and a plate in my ankle. could my random pain that I have be experiencing off and on for a month now have any thing to do this previous surgery.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 1 month ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Yes, most likely the amount of fibrous scar tissue is responsible for this random pain.

If the pain becomes significant, you may need an MRI to rule out any tendon/ligament issues and compare them to previous reports.

Till then I would do some sort of physical therapy to strengthen the muscles and tissues of the ankle.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do continue to run on the days when the pain isn't to bad... but the last couple of days I have periods were I can barely put any weight on my leg without a shooting pain. today I was the worst and didn't even do a morning run or anything.

If there's been a sudden and abrupt change in your ability to perform the same level of exercise then I would recommend an X ray as you may have a stress fracture.

Is there anything else I can answer for you?