Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurosurgeon - Brain, spine, and peripheral nerve surgery
206912

My son has always been a talker at a age. He has a good

Customer Question

My son has always been a talker at a young age. He has a good vocabulary and even uses words like "adding detail" and "also". He is will be 5 and a half in a couple of months, he just recently started repeating the syllable(s) of words. For example, when he is planning and describing the outdoor cat house he wants to build, he will say "cages.. ages.. ages". When I pointed it out to him and asked him why he has started repeating parts of words he said "I hear it in my head, and so I say it". I asked him to stop and he can't even help by do it. Is he hearing a brain echo? Will this go away?, he has always spoke normal until now.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

that is good your son has a good vocabularly

him repeating words in his head is part of how he learns at this age.

he is also repeating rhyming words here

is he going to preschool or kindergarden this year? they often will be doing word repeating exercises like this in class at school, repeating rhyming words

it doesn't sound like he has anything wrong neurologically with him.

this can just be a phase he is going through with learning. and he will continue to learn more words.

you can allow him to repeat these words in his head and for him to say them out loud. that is normal for him.

let me know if you have questions.