Neurodoc
Neurodoc, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD, Trained in Neurology with special reference to developmental & behavioral disorders
239748

I had 4 teeth extracted in April. Dentist stated my teeth

Customer Question

I had 4 teeth extracted in April. Dentist stated my teeth were "fused" to my jaw bone. Upper left quad. I now have numbness in upper lip left and slightly above into lower cheek. I am also experiencing progressive loss of taste & smell. My ability to chew has been greatly effected. When I touch under my jaw bone towards my left ear I get shooting pain. I do have a partial. I am experiencing the loss of taste even when appliance is not in place. This situation is starting to effect my mental state. Eating is a social norm for us. I'm referred to as Cookie, I'm no longer able to cook and or bake because I can't taste. .
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neurodoc replied 3 months ago.

It is likely that you have had nerve injury (probably to the superior orbital nerve) that is secondary to the teeth extraction.

You would need to go to a neurologist and get this diagnosis confirmed.

Generally speaking, nerve tonic like Pregabalin and possibly some steroid (to reduce inflammation) should be useful after discussing with neurologist,

Warm regards,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Doc...I have no inflammation. At this point if either of the above where to be used they would have to be infused. The S.O.N does not appear per anatomy to be close enough to area nor control these particular area. She extracted jaw bone material along with teeth She failed to send me to OS. Never had any issues of this nature. My hands are starting to go numb (pins/needles) almost Akin to neuropathy. Thank you kindly, seeking a neurologist in my area, MD to give referral Friday.
Expert:  Neurodoc replied 3 months ago.

As far as I can see, some of the symptoms can be explained due to excessive anxiety as well, especially tingling numbness in hands,

I agree that a neurologist opinion would be helpful in this situation to confirm the exact cause,

Warm regards.

Dr. Gupta, MD