Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience

I have a question. If you have had a pineal gland cyst and

Customer Question

I have a question. If you have had a pineal gland cyst and it was say 18.1 mm and had it removed and a year and a half ago and you get a pet scan two months ago and the report doesn't mention it and have new mri 2 weeks ago and it says in the report
Findings, The brain parencheym, the ventricles, cisterns are age appropriate. no acute intracranial abnormality. no abnormal intracranial enhancement. the corpus callosum , sella, cervicomedullary junction and brain stem unremarkable. incidental note is made of 12x8 mm pineal cyst
impression 12x8 mm pineal cyst does that mean it is growing back?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 month ago.

Hi Marie. Yes, this would be the most likely explanation. Pineal cysts are essentially fluid-filled potential spaces. After the cyst lining is removed, the space can fill up again. This may not show up on PET scan due to its relatively small size and the lack of "activity" in the fluid-filled space.