Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

I have A friend who is 71 years old. She was not working

Customer Question

I have A friend who is 71 years old. She was not working until her husband died about six months ago. Although she was active and doing housework and yardwork. Anyway since her husband died she has begun working three days per week seven hours per day on her feet. she has swelling in her feet and ankles at the end of her work days. I think the swelling is gone the next morning. As I said she refuses to go to a doctor I'm do you think this is serious do you think she would benefit from a diuretic or she just needs to not work on her feet for seven hours a day three days a week.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern regarding swelling in ankles & feet of your 71 year old friend:

Do you know if she is diagnosed with any medical illness like diabetes or high blood pressure?

Any tests done so far for this?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She has no diagnoses. She has not seen a doctor in years. Prior to starting this job she seemed healthy, did housework daily about one hour. And did yard work about 10 hours per week. And was active and clubs and organizations. She does have a bad temper if that is relevant.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having swelling in ankles & feet of your 71 year old friend since she started working three days per week seven hours per day on her feet,this condition is called edema feet.Edema.Ankles, feet and other lower body parts swell and look puffy without pain when the body's tissues retain too much fluid.

The most common cause of edema foot are:Prolonged standing,long journeys,increased age,venous insufficiency,varicose veins,certain medications.Edema foot(swelling in foot) can also be due to heart failure, kidney failure, or liver failure.

As she is in elderly age of 71 years & has recently started working for long hours,this seems to be the most probable cause of her symptoms.

Following will help her greatly:

-A low-salt diet is recommended.

-Avoid excess fluid intake.It usually helps.

-A low dose of a diuretic (water pill) may be prescribed accordingly.

- Elevation of leg & applying ice will relieve your symptoms temporarily.

-Symptomatic treatment is done accordingly.

So bot***** *****ne is that she should avoid prolong standing at work and tests done to rule out any underlying medical condition (as she has not seen her doctor for many years)& then diuretic will be prescribed her accordingly. Most likely her prolonged standing is the cause of this & she should definitely avoid this.

Hope this helped.

If there is anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going. How is your friend's health now?

Do you need further assistance?Is there anything else that you would like to know?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to hep you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh