Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and health questions answered.
Experience:  General Physician, Family medicine, Internal medicine, all age groups.

What is the difference between shingles and herpes. Can an

Customer Question

what is the difference between shingles and herpes. Can an outbreak of shingles occur on the buttocks and travel down the crack between the cheeks of ones rear end? My granddaughter had one painful outbreak in July and now is having the symptoms of another outbreak How does she tell the difference between shingles and herbes.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Chaithanya replied 2 months ago.

I’m Dr Chaithanya, attending you.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking this question.

Please wait while I review your question.

I will get back to you with an answer as soon as possible

Herpes is a group of viruses and it has 8 variants

Shingles is caused by Herpes Zoster [Varicella Zoster] Virus, a type of Herpes Virus.

Usually presented with painful rash and blisters on one side of the body

It is the same virus that causes Chicken pox. After Chicken pox is cured, the virus stays in the body and can reactivate in the adulthood to cause shingles in some people

Herpes is caused by Herpes simplex virus. , can be oral herpes caused by HSV 1, and genital Herpes caused by HSV 2.

Both cases present as white blisters around mouth or around genitals

If pain bothers more, and if it sound like nerve pain, it is probably shingles

Herpes presents with blisters, fever and soreness around blisters.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top right corner of the page to leave a positive rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for Health-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page:

A bonus after rating is optional.

Best Regards

Dr Chaithanya

Do you have further questions?