Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

Thank you for taking you time to answer my question....I

Customer Question

Thank you for taking you time to answer my question....I should have an answer in 7-10 days. I literally just finished a 4 day ambulatory eeg. For the past six monthsI had a feeling/sound like a short zap in the front left side, I did not lose consciencenese but was a bit disoriented for about a minute and had to refocus on my work, I am a paralegal. This happened maybe 1 x a week. Over the past 2 months the sound and sensation have happened between 3-10 times a day, while I was doing all different activities. It is really bothersome, now they last about 5 sec to 10 secs, and leave me dizzy always. My neurologist sent me for the 4 day eeg.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Two of my 3 children have epilepsy, my son has tonic clonic which began at agee 22 while being a fire fighter and in the air force, the air force gave him a medical discharge and now, Thank God he is 6 years seizuure free and back on the fire department. My daughter was 17 when she started fainting - it took so many test and finally after a sleep deprived eeg they fouund petit mal oin both frontal lobes. I have been told my youngest son cannot be checked unless he shows signs - but since there are so many types of seizures it is very hard to look for signs. He was dx on the autism spectrum last month with autism mild, and aspergers sever.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I take Floxotine 40 mgs a day, ambien prn, hydrocodine prn for 3 herniated discs, I hate the way that medice makes me feel so I usually take tylenol - to much. I do have a spinal cord stimulator which tricks my brain into feeling vibration instead of pain. It have been a life saver for the past 6 years, but after 28 years of keeping the pain at bay with chiro, water therapy, physical therapy, epidural shots and ablations bilaterally. Now because the last ablation and shots didn't work I have been referred to a surgeon to for a possible fusion. I take multi vitamins everyday and was taking zanax for muscle spasms and anxiety but my dr changed my meds on tues day to Klonopan and cybalta...taking the xanax and fluoxotene is being weened off.
JA: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?
Customer: My older brother and sister have seizure disorders which also started as adults. My younger sister has had one seizure about 9 years ago. Yes I have kept records...the dr.'s call me the note book mom lol
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for this question

I'm Dr. Phil, licensed and practicing MD with over 10 years experience

I'm very sorry about this problem

It sounds like you have a strong family history of seizures

The EEG is very important.

Can I ask what your main question is?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My main question is there any other strong evidence that this is epilepsy? If not what are some of other conditions which this could be?

Yes, I would say there is excellent evidence

Your SUPER strong family history is the main thing

Also, the description of symptoms

It could also be a form of migraine

migraines can present like this

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using

Thanks for this questionPlease don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)if you have more questions, just reply