Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology

Is numbness and tingling a side effect of a lumpectomy?

Customer Question

I recently had a lumpectomy and 3 lymph nodes removed. I am experiencing severe pain in the affected arm at night. I have numbness and tingling at times in my arm. Is this normal recovery pain? It was done the first week of April this year.
When laying down, my arm is under the pillows for supporting my head. As the arm is stretched out, the pain soon appears. I swim and extend my arms in activity during the day. Minimal discomfort is noted. I had a hip replacement in 2014. Am on Arimidex, 1 mg daily. I was just ordered for neurontin 300 mg at night for this nerve pain. I haven’t really started this yet.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.
After arm pit surgery, you can develop a seroma or fluid collection in your arm pit which can push on the brachial nerves which enter into the arm. You may need an arm pit ultrasound to check on the seroma fluid collection in your arm pit. You may benefit from ice packs in the arm pit to help decrease swelling. You may benefit from gentle physical therapy and stretching exercises to help your arm get back to good range of motion after surgery. Yes, this can be normal recovery after breast and arm pit surgery. Yes, it can get better with more time. Did your doctor give you the option for physical therapy and stretching exercises yet?