Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  Neurology & Int Medicine (US Trained): 20 yrs experience

I have had tingling in my left foot for 22 years, since my

Customer Question

I have had tingling in my left foot for 22 years, since my third hip revision surgery. the past several months it's much worse and in my right foot as well. I had hip replacement on the right 13 years ago and a knee replacement on the right 3 years ago. Also severe foot pain which I'm told is from lack of cartilege in my feet. They have gotten much worse in the past years or so.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?
Customer: Small amount of swelling and staying off feet helps pain but not tingling
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not diabetic as far as I know. Treated hyeractive thyroid. Mitral valve prolapse.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

I would suggest a couple things. First, you should have nerve conduction studies performed (i.e. NCV/EMG). These tests will tell you if you have any nerve damage and, if so, where it is and how long it has been present (roughly). This can help with diagnosing a peripheral neuropathy as well, if present. In the meantime, you should ask your doctor for a nerve stabilizing medication such as gabapentin or pregabalin to reduce the pain and paresthesias (numbness, tingling, etc).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have an appointment with mu pcp in a month and will discuss this with her.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 2 months ago.

I would do that. There are other medications that can be added for improved pain control. She probably has a favorite or two that you might also need to take. If the pain is severe, as you say, and progressive, you might also request a referral to a pain management clinic. This is usually a team of pain professionals working under the guidance of an anesthesiologist. They will take a multi-pronged approach to getting your pain under better control.