Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC

My 38 yr old son has Type 1 diabetes (onset age 5), tonic

Customer Question

My 38 yr old son has Type 1 diabetes (onset age 5), tonic clonic epilepsy (presented age 13), suffered a TBI (left temporal lobe, age 9). 6 yrs ago, he went into septic shock with pneumonia. The vasopressors that were used to get him through the crisis led to the amputation of both legs and all his fingers. Although he probably would have needed dialysis at some point due to diabetes, the sepsis made it necessary from that time on. He was in ICU for a solid 6 months recovering from sepsis/pneumonia; I was told his death was expected. He was kept in an induced coma for much of his recovery. When he returned to consciousness, and ever since, there is a dramatic deficit to his (already damaged) cognition. I was told it is a dementia produced by the critical insults to his body along with the chronic diseases that plague him. That's a short history. My question is: We recently relocated to Missouri from California. We had no problem establishing my son at a dialysis clinic or acquiring a G.P. But, to my and the referring doctor's surprise, the neurologist he was referred to refused to treat my son. The G.P.'s office asked why and was given no reason other than after reading his records, they decided to decline...they are not obligated to give a reason. I asked the nurse that called me from the G.P. if she had any idea what might elicit such a reaction. She seemed equally perplexed. My question: For what reason, knowing the highlights of my son's medical history, would a neurologist refuse to treat him? One thing I should include: His anti-seizure meds are Topamax and Lamictal, BID. He was seizing during dialysis until we included lorazepam, taken half way through his treatment on dialysis days only. I must say that this neurologists refusal was such a blow--it is disturbing emotionally as well as intellectually. I could have dealt much better with the truth-what ever it is-than nothing at all. Please help.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

I can not imagine why the neurologist would refuse to take your son on as a patient. Perhaps is practice is so busy that he did not want to take on such a complicated case.

Unfortunately, there no way to know the answer to this question.

Your best bet is to put this behind you and find a different neurologist.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know there is no way to actually KNOW the answer. I'm asking for some idea, possible reasons, why a neurologist would refuse. This is not a heavily populated area of Missouri and the referring doctor did not think the neurologist was overwhelmed with patients. What I want to know is what about my son's condition would be a put off? Obviously, I'm going to have to put this behind me and find another one. Your answer was a bit patronizing.

I'm sorry that you found my answer to be patronizing. I sure didn't mean it to be....

But, in reality? Any reason I can come up with for this doctors behavior would be a stone cold guess.

If you really have to know you might try calling the neurologist and asking her, or going to her office and asking her in person.

You might also complain to the medical board and see if you can get a reason from the doctor that way

Or even have a lawyer send the doctor a formal letter asking if she would share her reasons for not taking on your sons neurology care and threaten a lawsuit to compel her to give a reason if she refuses to do so. Perhaps this would scare her into revealing what she was thinking.....

Make sense to you?

I realize that this was not the answer you were hoping to hear but it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Surely, you prefer that I tell the truth rather than what you wish to hear. Because it reflects very poorly on me unless you press one of the top three feedback choices, keep this in mind when rating my answer and please do not punish me for being honest. I understand that this may not be easy to hear, and I empathize.

Even though my answer was not quite what you were hoping for, please understand that my priority was to provide you with the most honest information. With that in consideration, I hope that you found my answer useful. Please click the excellent feedback button so that I can receive credit for my efforts.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
C'mon Doc. I'm not asking you for a diagnosis or to paint me a picture that is less than honest. But, a stone cold guess would work better than what you sent so far. Except, it would not be stone cold...I gave you a synoptic medical history. So, if you read a history like my son's and, being a neurologist, you declined to treat him...what reasons would you have for that decision. I don't understand why you cannot answer that question.

In my almost three decades of practice I have to honestly say that I would never refuse to treat a patient like your son unless my practice was so busy that I could not give him the care and attention he needed.

And I can not even begin to guess why this doctor has acted like he has........

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick MD FACS