Experience:  MBBS, FCPS

How can I tell if my pain is caused by bursitis in hip or

Customer Question

How can I tell if my pain is caused by bursitis in hip or sciatica?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Sciatica is a pain caused by compression of the sciatic nerve. Usually it cause a shooting pain which radiates from lower back and then from posterior aspect of leg and downwards.

There are number of bursa around the hip joint and they usually produce a localized pain,swelling and tenderness.It causes a persistent gnawing pain and the character of pain is different from sciatica.

Generally it is easier to differentiate both these conditions on examination. Tenderness and localized swelling usually favor bursitis.

Good luck

Feel free to ask if any more question

If done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do I am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating