Neuro Doctor
Neuro Doctor, Neurologist (MD)
Experience:  American Board Certified Neurologist, Internal Medicine

What is causing this prickly, painful feeling I am

Customer Question

What is causing this prickly, painful feeling I am experiencing? Going up from the lower part of my back and rising upward causing severe pain. A feeling like pins sticking me in my back.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Neuro Doctor replied 2 months ago.

Hi Carolyn, I am an American Board Certified Neurologist with vast experience in diagnosing & treating all types of neurological & other medical conditions including the concerns of prickly painful feeling in the back you have mentioned here, and I am very glad to help you with your health concerns.

First I will ask few questions so that I can gather additional information related to your health concerns;

1) How long this has been going on, and did you have this type of symptom before ever, or is this the first time?

2) Do you feel the pain is more superficial from the skin level or deep from the spinal level, or difficult to tell?

3) Any recent traumas or injuries?

4) Any skin lesions like rashes or any skin discoloration etc?

5) Any new symptoms in the legs or with the bladder?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It began yesterday and has become more painful today. When I feel warm is when it starts to feel like something crawling up my back and pins sticking in by back. It is also extremely painful. It feels like small heat bumps are on my back, however no one else is able to see any bumps or sign of a rash. No recent trauma or injury. The pains seems to be deeper than just on the surface. No symptoms with my legs or bladder

Okay I see, how much rubbing with alcohol and hydrocortisone help so far?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No relief
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
please continue via chat

Okay sure, I will continue with the chat.

And sorry to hear that no relief with the treatments tried so far.

And I appreciate for all these additional information! I am typing the answer now and I will post my answer here as soon as it is ready

Okay I am ready; I am posting my answer here;

You have mentioned the pain appear to be deeper than just on the surface

There could be certain infectious processes (like developing an abscess) in the back can cause these type of symptoms

Certain other inflammatory processes of the back too can do this

Rarely even a disc problem in the spine too can cause these symptoms

This needs to be examined by a DR asap, also you need certain relevant investigations like an MRI scan of the back/spine etc which will help in clinching the precise diagnosis and then treated appropriately, depending upon the test results

In the meantime for the symptomatic relief you may try one or more of the following;

Calmoseptine over the counter skin ointment can help in relieving this severe annoying prickly pain

Another over the counter option is Calamine skin Ointment or Lotion

A nerve-pain pill like Gabapentin or Amitriptyline can also of immense help with this type of annoying prickly pain

And as discussed earlier above please try to get this examined & evaluated by a Dr asap, if early clinic appointment is not available, then visiting ER or Urgent care is recommended.

Please let me know if you have any further questions; and please click a positive rating (preferably 5 star/Excellent) to credit for the time & effort put by me in answering your health question, and this is the only way I will be credited for my service to you. If you have follow-up or additional questions you can ask them after the rating too.

Best regards,