DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

Shortness of breath. I slept 3 hours on Wednesday night and

Customer Question

Shortness of breath. I slept 3 hours on Wednesday night and 2.5 hours Thursday night due to work and packing for Friday morning cycling ride. Two hour drive to start 6am bike ride. I found it hard to take a deep breath and found myself yawning a lot. I road only 50 miles out of 100. Temperature with heat index in the mid 90's. I then drove 2 hours to beach to find that I pissed my self. This has never happened. I slept most of the rest of the day and night through 11am next morning. I would wake up but was too exhausted to get up. I am still suffering with shortness of breath but not as bad. I am a triathlete. Recently I have found myself walking up a flight of stairs exhausting. My shortness of breath has happened before without lack of sleep. I am wondering if it is medication or vitamins I am taking or exercise induced asthma. Medication; 20mg Prilosec 1x day, 37.5mg Adipex 1x day, Adderall XR 20mg 1x day when not taking Adipex. I switch about every 3 months. Allegra 180mg day (not taken today) sometimes Mucinex-D (600 mg guaifenesin & 60mg psuedophedrine) 1x day. Flonase 50mcg x 1 Daily. Vitamins: 250mg Bilberry 2 x day, Lutein 40mg 1x day, CoQ10 200 mg 1x day, 99mg Potassium 2xday, 40 mcg folic acid 2x day. And sometimes I take one pack a night of Nature Made Diobetes Health Pack. It's a multi vitamin Pack. I have been waking up recently with numb toes and forefeet. I do not take any diabetes medecine or test myself. I manage my diabetes through diet and medication. I was last tested in April and it was around 6.5. I had not been exercising due to shoulder surgery at that time. I am currently training for Ironman. I wil be retested soon. I suffer from excess daytime sleepiness and severe sleep apnea. I sleep about 5 to 6 hours a night, often wake up due to unpleasant dreams. I usually take 20-30 minute afternoon naps. I also pick my fingers. I believe it may be due to anxiety. I switch back and forth every few months from Adipex and Adderall XR. I also suffer from ADD caused by severe frontal lobe injury when I was 7 years old. My memory is very poor. Short and long term. These medications allow me to function, stay awake. Without them it would be near impossible to get out of bed. My questions are (besides lack of sleep); what could be causing my shortness of breath? Should I stop taking some of the medication or vitamins? Is it anxiety? Is there natural herbs, etc. I can take? I would love to not take any medications, especially Adipex or Adderall. My current problems I would like to tackle are shortness of breath and excessive daytime sleepiness. Is there a type of Doctor or homeopathy I can see?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 3 months ago.

Hello

Thanks for the question.

I am a double board certified US doctor and will be happy to help.

First of all, you need to see your doctor right away.

What could be causing this.

Lack of control of your asthma.

You apparently are on asthma medications.

Some of your medications, such as adderall, might cause such a side effect.

Paradoxically , allergra can cause this.

Heart failure can cause this, not likely in you, but it has happened.

Rarely, a clot to the lung can cause this. Not likely in your case.

Acid reflux can aggravate bronchospasm, and this is a possibility as well, even without acid reflux symptoms.

I suggest immediate evaluation.

Wetting yourself is unusual, and an incontinence evaluation should be done.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will make an appointment on Monday. Is there an alternative to Allegra you recommend? I did not take Allegra this morning and I am feeling better. I figure if it is the medication I am currently taking, it would be Allegra or the Adipex. I am currently not taking Adderal XR since I am taking Adipex. If shortness of breath persist, then I'll stop the Adipex until I see my doctor.

There are alternatives, but the long acting agents can all have the same problem.

A steroid and a rescue inhaler with a prednisone taper is an alternative.

I would stop the adipex now, personally.

In any case, run all of this by your doctor, and I do not suggest waiting.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. I'll stop Adipex.

Anytime.

Please do not forget a positive rating: or I don't get paid.