Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology
41363181

Approximately 3 months ago I had a severe back spasm. I was

Customer Question

Hello. Approximately 3 months ago I had a severe back spasm. I was treated by a chiropractor and felt somewhat better, and then I began noticing symptoms in my left leg. Intermittent cramping just below my knee and a twitch on the top of my foot, in the fleshy area where the tendons connected to my toes start. The twitch happens everyday, but seems to worsen when I put my leg in a certain position or put a lot of force on the front of my foot. Additionally, when I prop my foot up to where my heel in touching a flat surface and my toes are pointed upward, I can see my foot move to the side in tiny jerks. This seems to be coming from a twitch in my lower leg. I also have "crawly" feelings in my lower legs, especially at rest.I have had neurological exams that were normal, as well as an EMG that was completely clean ( the doctor who performed it suggested BFS). I have tried supplementing magnesium, as well as chiropractic adjustments, electronic stimulation of my calf muscles. I have seen multiple doctors who can't seem to give me a definitive answer, though none of them seem to think it is anything serious.My podiatrist thought it might be an issue caused by my flat feet, so I have been wearing arch supports. My question is, can you offer any explanation for these symptoms? I am scared of neurological diseases, and while the symptoms are not painful and I have not experienced any weakness, I am unnerved by not knowing what is going on.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

these small jerks and twitching can be from benign fasciculations in your foot which can come from stressed or strained nerves or muscles in your lower leg or foot.

not drinking enough water, not getting enough potassium in your diet can be part of the reason. most people don't get in 4600mg of potassium into their diet daily

also you may benefit from stretching exercises and yoga to stretch tight nerves and muscles in your legs which can help improve range of motion and flexability which could help your nerves and muscles not cramp up so badly.

if you have bad anxiety symptoms, this can worsen fasciculations

regular exercise and stretching and yoga and physical therapy can also help decrease some anxiety symptoms as well

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your prompt response. For my peace of mind, with the EMG being completely clean, do you think I can stop worrying about neurological diseases? (ALS, Huntingtons, Muscular Dystrophy). I have no family history of any of these illnesses, but I have worried about them since this problem has been going on for 3 months.

yes, with a normal EMG and normal exam, you can stop worrying about all of those neurological diseases.

don't let your anxiety get out of control

work on drinking more fluids and getting more potassium in your diet and work on stretching and yoga exercises to help improve flexibility

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com