Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

What can I do for lower back pain?

Customer Question

what can I do for lower back pain?
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for this question and im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now lower back pain can be due to multiple causes however the commonest cause is a muscle spasm in the lower back. Muscle spasms can occur because of dehydration as well as electrolyte imbalances which is why the first thing you should do is to drink more water (unless it is restricted in your case due to some medical condition) secondly, drinking electrolyte rich fluids like gatorade can also be helpful. If that doesnt help then applying OTC voltaren gel would be useful as well on the area which is painful. OTC painkillers like tylenol or motrin can also be used if that doesnt help. Lastly if none of these help then you would have to visit your doctor for muscle relaxants like tinazidine or flexxeril.

Now if you have symptoms like pain radiating down into the legs, numbness or weakness in the legs, urinary incontinence or retention then that is an indication that you need to IMMEDIATELY go to the ER and get an xray and MRI done of the lower back. This is because this would indicate that you may have cauda equina syndrome which is a surgical emergency. If you have none of the above symptoms, then it would be better to have this evaluated by your doctor at the earliest with a simple xray to start with.

But try the OTC regimens first, also it would help me if you could tell if you have any other medical conditions or medications that you might be on so i can check and see if these OTC medications are safe for you.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.