How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Phil, MD Your Own Question
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Category: Neurology
Satisfied Customers: 54513
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
Type Your Neurology Question Here...
Dr. Phil, MD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, age 30, suffered a catastrophic brain injury 6 weeks

Customer Question

My son, age 30, suffered a catastrophic brain injury 6 weeks ago. He was put into the closest ICU where, after 5 weeks, his kidneys improved, he could breathe on his own(has a trach) so after a day and a half they put him in a regular hospital room, unmonitored. There he coded because there was an obstruction in his airway they didn't know about.
Now he's back in the ICU, having regressed physically.
I know from all my reading he should be in a Neurological ICU. My problem is that the ICU MD at our hospital has to recommend him to the only Neurological ICU in Colorado, which he refuses to do because he believes there is no hope for my sins recovery. I believe differently. My question is how I get the appropriate care for my son? Thanks, ***** *****
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for this question Virginia

I'm Dr. Phil. Practicing internist

I'm so sorry to hear about your son

That is terrible

I would advise requesting a transfer to another hospital for a second opinion.

You always have a legal right to this no matter what the circumstances

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using

Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 8 months ago.

Thanks for this question.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it. :)
If you have more questions, just reply