Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I've been having muscle spasms like in my calf or sometimes

Customer Question

Hi
I've been having muscle spasms like in my calf or sometimes a fInger will slightly raise if I'm resting on couch.
At night it's worse when trying to sleep. My thigh muscles might quiver for 10 sec then my shoulders might jerk or ankle might move. Lasts until I fall asleep.
Sometimes I feel a weird sensation in head like a 1 second shift in pressure or maybe a twitch. Hard to describe.
I also have tinnitus in my left ear.
This all started about 2.5 weeks after I hit my head with the corner of the trunk of my car. It's been 6 weeks since I hit my head.
I was/am having high stress and anxiety before the hit.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Stan, here to help you.
Board Certified with 40 years of Patient Care. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

From what you have said, I will assume you did not seek any medical attention after hitting your head. You are describing either a concussion or a possible small bleed in your head which would account for your symptoms. You need an MRI, MRA and neurological evaluation which you can get at an Urgent Care Center. I am here to answer additional questions. Please leave a positive rating of 3-5 stars so I get credit for my response.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would a tumor cause these symptoms?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

That is a possibility. What is your age. Regardless, you need to have this evaluated sooner than later.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
37
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

Based on your age and the history of trauma, tumor would be low on my list of causes. The anxiety would not cause these symptoms either.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Would it be normal for it to show up 2.5 weeks later after hitting my head? So many people with anxiety say they have twitches and spasms.I have no headaches, nausea, vommiting, vision problems, memory issues or other odd behaviors.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

A small slow cortical bleed can have symptoms weeks after the initial trauma. Are you still having the "high stress and anxiety"? You don't want to have a permanent problem because of the trauma when it can be avoided by having it evaluated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
major stress and anxiety and panic attacks often.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

I can only advise you to be evaluated in an Urgent Care Center today. If the MRI, MRA and neurological tests are negative, then you can deal with the stress and anxiety.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can a concussion alone cause these symptoms outside of a bleed?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

Yes, a concussion alone can cause these symptoms.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also sometimes I feel a burning sensation on my scalp and it will turn red then goes away. I notice it more when I'm anxious or doing my job which is physical and stressful. Generally happens when working.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

The burning sensation is unrelated to your current problem. What medicine do you take?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
None.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

When you go to the urgent care, discuss the anxiety issue after your neurological symptoms are evaluated.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

Are you feeling better? Did you seek medical attention?

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 6 months ago.

How are you feeling?