Dr. David, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Experienced physician in Neurology

My dad was experiencing some hearing deficit on the L side

Customer Question

my dad was experiencing some hearing deficit on the L side so his ENT sent him for a CT scan w/contrast of the head/neck. Findings were NO cervical adenopathy, or lymph nodes were clear. Upper lungs clear. However, it detected a 13 mm "soft tissue" density area nasopharyngeal. All other structures of the head was clear. It stated this is "consistent w/nasopharyngeal carcinoma" and that it couldn't exclude carcinoma. So Tuesday he is dut for a biopsy. Now his symptoms are really nothing except that hearing deficit I told you about. He is not reporting any pain or bloody discharge from his nose or anything. Now my question is just how accurate is CT scan revealing Carcinoma. I mean I know the biopsy confirms it but how reliable do you think this could be? Or the radiologist findings, are they pretty reliable w/ the diagnosis or could this just be benign, but if so why would he put consistent w/carcinoma. Please go in detail w/me! I'm very concerned about that finding though my dad feels fine.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. David

consistent with carcinoma is radiology language for "it could be carcinoma or it could be a nasopharyngeal cancer"

that is what that means.

the CT scan didn't show any cancer spread to lymph nodes.

I suspect he has about a 50/50 chance it can be cancerous/benign.

when is his biopsy scheduled for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Tuesday morning. I'm going nuts lol

try to relax and calm down

it will be fine for him either way if it is benign or malignant.