Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

I have had swelling and pain in my left leg for about a

Customer Question

I have had swelling and pain in my left leg for about a month now. Both in and below the calf as well as in the hamstring/thigh. Went to the ER on 7.11.16 where an ultrasound was conducted with negative results. I was released but the pain still persisted so on 7.31
.16 I went back to the ER. A second ultrasound was conducted along with a d-dimer test and other blood work. All came back negative. Went to my pcp today who thinks it my be a pinched nerved but he disnt sound sure and referred me to a neurologyst. I am still having the symptoms and now some lower back/stomach pain. I did have a DVT with pe 5 years ago after knee surgery and am still not convinced I don't have one now even with the negative US. Could the problem have been missed and is in the pelvic region that wasn't on the us? Please help!!
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 2 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

With both a negative ultrasound and a negative ultrasound, it would be extremely unlikely that there would be a DVT in the pelvis that is causing these symptoms.

For a DVT to cause swelling of the legs, it would need to affect the venous return from the leg, and the diminished venous flow would typically be apparent on the ultrasound. The D-dimer would also typically be elevated if there is a DVT affecting the veins that do not communicate with the legs. The D-dimer test is not perfect, but it is quite good.

So, the likelihood that both the D-dimer test and both ultrasounds would miss a DVT causing swelling and pain in the leg is extremely low.

It is possible that there could be inflammation in a vein without a blood clot, as the ultrasound and D-dimer are oriented towards detection of blood clots. But the likelihood of DVT would be extremely low.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've started to experience pain in my pelvic/lower back region as well as my other leg as of last night. Didn't get very much sleep from the discomfort. Also, I seem to be having a sharp pain that comes and goes every so often for a few seconds on the right side of my back. No certain position makes it better or worse.

Even with these symptoms, it would be extremely unlikely to be a DVT. It could be due to inflammation, but unlikely to be due to a DVT. It would be fine to take an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine to see if it helps the symptoms.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. I've taken some antiinflammatory and just waiting to kick in at this time. I also reached to my PCP about doing an MRI from the lower back down to rule everything out. Will keep you posted if/when that occurs.

Very good.