Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

What should I do about a cyst on my lower leg bone? There is

Customer Question

What should I do about a cyst on my lower leg bone? There is no pain it just looks out of place.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Can i ask do you have any other symptoms associated with teh cyst? Do you have a picture of the area? Any other medical conditions or medications that you might be on?

Since you seem to be offline, ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on

The first thing is to determine where the cyst is arising from, most commonly these are benign cysts arising from the skin or the subcutaneous tissue. As far as the cause is concerned ot depends on where the cyst is located exactly on the leg, if it behind the knee then it is likely to be a bakers cyst which would need steroid injections and surgery in order to be treated. if it is present on the front of the leg then it is likely to be a sebaceous cyst which is a small cyst arising from the hair follicle or rather a gland in the skin. This an discharge yellow colored material as well. The treatment is simple surgery to remove the cyst.

It is also possible that this isnt a cyst but rather a small benign tumor like a lipoma which can be removed very easily via an in office procedure as well. An ultrasound would reveal the exact nature of this swelling.

I would like for you to attach a picture of the area so i can determine what type ofcyst this is and i can be more specific in my answer.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,