DrThomasMd
DrThomasMd, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor, diagnose and treat neurology patients, many years
24257177

I have what I call floating pain, I will have pain under my

Customer Question

I have what I call floating pain, I will have pain under my right breast for about a week, then it moves to my sternum and between my should blades, then it will move to my back where my kidneys are located. This comes and goes quite frequently. I have been diagnosed with Tumid Lupus in the last few months. Can this pain be associated with the lupus? What can I do for it? I am taking Plaquenil.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Thanks for the question.

I am a double board certified US doctor and I will be glad to help.

The pain is more like fibromyalgia, which is common in this situation.

You need to have your rheumatologist examine this to confirm.

Lupus can give muscle aches as well, but that is not a predominant symptom but tumid lupus can coexist with regular lupus, and this can cause pain.

Lyrica, savella and cymbalta are the approved pain medications for FM.

Talk to your doctor about this.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Hello and welcome.

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

If it is muscular, skeletal pain, then the best doctor to see is a specialist in physical medicine.

They are called physical medicine and rehabilitation doctors or physiatrists.

If this is not clearly structural, your internal medicine doctor or family practice doctor can screen you for referral.

You do not need a referral necessarily.