Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  Experience of Neurology of over 4 years, well versed in EEG, NCS and EMG alongwith MRIs and CT scans

What could cause soreness behind both ears?

Customer Question

Soreness and not pain behind both ears. On the protruding hard bones behind the ears. I had an infection in my vagina about a month ago. Think it was called bacterial vaginosis. But I took antibiotic for 10 days and it went away.
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.
Well these regions of the skull are called mastoid processes, if there is soreness in this region it is possible that you could have developed mastoditis which is a condition in which the mastoid air cells(the mastoid process is hollow and contains air cells which communicates with the sinuses) are infected with bacteria or viruses. Usually the symptoms are mild and present with only soreness in the beginning which can later on progress to severe pain, redness and raised temperature in the region in some cases. But in most cases soreness is the only sign. The diagnosis can be made with the help of a xray of the region or even a CT scan of the skull. This would be treated with anti inflammatory agents like ibuprofen and if needed antibiotics. I would suggest that you try OTC motrin or Aleve for the soreness right now until you get to see your doctor for a final diagnosis with a x-ray and a clinical examination.