Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have very bad pain in my upper back left side under

Customer Question

i have very bad pain in my upper back left side under shoulder blade. like a burning sharp pain
Category: Neurology
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

What is your age?

Do you have any known health problems?

What makes the pain worse? To twist the back ...does that hurt?

Are you short of breath ? Rapid heart beat ??

Have you had any neck or back problems?

Do you have any pain with taking a deep breath ??

Let me know what details you can and I will get back with you...

Best regards ***** ***** ....

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
27 male. no known health problems.
its hurts really bad constant but at times i won't feel it as much. twist back? not really.
yes hurts more when i i take deeper breaths. no rapid heart beat. my wife pinpoint the pin and she massages me there(the muscle and feels like a knot or something. never had pain problems in back before and the neck is always sore but i guess its due to my job. i work in construction and sometimes lifts heavy object. couple days ago lifting some rebar

Hello again,

Ok well the aspect that it sounds that your wife pinpoints the pain and send to help with back massage sounds that it probably musculoskeletal in nature ...

You may benefit from an anti-inflammatory such as ALEVE 2 tablets twice a day with food ..

Perhaps a topical application such as Aspercream or Salonpas ..

Applying cold pack to alternate with heating pad may distract the pain...

Your work would seem to fit with muscular or soft tissue injury ..

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion

I will be happy to get back with you

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i been taking naproxen doesn't help. i put heat pad helps a little but still feel the pain severe. I've had this pain since thursday and has gotten worse every day(is it normal with musculature pain?) and it it also normal to have shortness of breath with it? like heavy chest? and a lot of burping?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the right side is sore also but only when i press on the muscle. but the side that is hurting is just constant without touching it. the pain is sharp and burning and tingly as if it was my lung. how long does a muscle pain last if it is that?

Hello again,

No it is not normal to have shortness of breath with it...

Shortness of breath raises added

possible concerns such as a blood clot to the lungs or pleuritis or pneumonia ...

So if short of breath and it has been getting worse I think it best that you be checked at the ER

They can check you further such as chest xray / spine xray / blood test (D-dimer to check for abnormal clotting )

If short of breath I think it more important to bite the bullet and get more thoroughly checked today!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
also this morning i felt my left hand pinky numb and tingly

That aspect sounds more of a nerve impingment of the ulnar nerve distribution ...

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
well the shortness of breath is not really there i think I've always breath like this. i don't have chest pain. no cough. no fever. no sweats. just the pain under left shoulder blade. burning sore pain. whats the more likely cause?

Hello again,

It sounds more of an injury ..this could be muscular injury such as the rhomboids which are attached to the shoulder blades ..

I would keep trying the anti-inflammatory and perhaps topical to see if that helps ...

Try to get to your doctor for exam early this week ...

The exam would help to better establish your cause and if you should need any tests ..

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks. i will probably go to day to texas medclinic. to see if they can detect the problem

Hello again,

Ok that sounds like a rasonablr plan...an exam of you and pinpointing the pain and triggers will be helpful to you getting this more specifically diagnosed --

Good luck!

Feel better soon!

Anthony Bray MD